A conservatory of Ldotter blogs.

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Just when I thought. . .

. . .I was ahead of the game, calamity strikes again. I should have known things were going a little too well. Not only is good fortune always fleeting, but its demise is often cruel and ironic.

As you may have read in one of my more recent entries, I was having a pretty decent run of good luck for a few days there, having evaded the trouble of dealing with a leaky roof, the mailbox, and getting a new phone number and a better home in which to stay. Well, the run has ended.

I spent today packing my things in preparation for the move, and this evening, began the process of actually taking them to the new place. Well, as I pulled into the road that leads to said new place, my car died. At first, I thought no biggie. It had been sitting dormant for a little over a week, due to the fact that I've been snowed in until today. It probably just needs the cobwebs blown out. So, as I coasted into the road, I restarted it, and drove approximately 50 feet to my new driveway, where it died again.

It was at that point that I noticed the smoke pouring from under the hood. I looked down at the temperature guage, and sure enough, it was hot. So, I got out and popped the hood and looked, but there's not a lot I could see in the darkness. What I could discern, though, was that the smoke was emanating from the area of the aftercooler. This is most emphatically not a good thing, given the fact that I drive an old 1988 Ford T-Bird Turbo Coupe -- renowned for their ability to blow their turbo chargers without the slightest bit of punishment.

And, now, I face the prospect of moving the rest of my things without the benefit of a car. I also face the prospect of getting back and forth to school next week without the benefit of a car. In fact, I pretty much face the prospect of living my life without a car, as I'm completely financially strapped and living off student loans, grants, and a monthly disability benefit of $572, which comes to an end in February, due to the fact that I'm no longer disabled and going to school.

So, my New Year's resolution, unless the problem turns out to be far less severe than I suspect, is to get a car without money. Normally, this requires thievery -- something I'm not cut out for, having absolutely no experience in grand theft auto.

This is only the most recent development in what has been a rather unfortunate past three days. I actually blogged about the past three days late last night, but wound up deleting the entry at a friend's behest, and a sudden jolt of common sense. But, damn. This is tough.

I'm not sure what kind of adjustments I'm going to have to make in order to remedy the situation, but if something drastic doesn't happen to turn things around in the next few days, I may have to forsake my precious DSL connection -- and perhaps school.

If so, I dearly hope it's a brief break. I've come to depend on this blog as an outlet, and school as a preserver of my sanity and sense of accomplishment. There's a chance I'm being too quick to despair, but at the moment, things ain't looking good.

Again, wish me luck in this transition. Only this time, wish harder, and for better luck. I know things always turn around, but I'm up against all manner of deadlines, and given the stress that comes along with the process of moving alone, I'm at my wits' end.

Thanks to everyone who has checked in on the Pajama Pack for the past few days. I apologize for the sparseness of new material. But, it may be a while before I can resume blogging with any regularity, once I get the service disconnected at my current address.

And, if you can find room in your prayers for me, I'd appreciate it. It looks like I'm going to need them.

Thank you,

Walt
 

free website counters