A conservatory of Ldotter blogs.

Saturday, December 11, 2004

Feeling a little better. . .

. . .after a night of profuse sweating, I'm hopeful that I'll be able to blog about something at some point today. This has been the worst case of the flu I can remember. I mustered the will to make it to class yesterday, but came home at noon with a chill that had me shivering as though I had malaria.

Once I finally got home, I plopped down on the couch, and covered myself in an electric blanket. Approximately two hours later, I awoke covered in perspiration to such a degree that I had to get a towel from the bathroom to dry myself off. This happened again another couple of hours later.

Finally, after six hours of fevered sleep, I got off the couch and had the rest of the chicken soup I made a couple of nights ago. Then, after a brief visit from my sister, I got another chill and crawled back under the electric blanket.

This time, the sleep seems to have been restful, as I'm feeling a little more vital. I still have some chest and nasal congestion, but that seems to be abating -- at least for the time being.

It's been a long time since I've been ill enough to actually be frightened. At several points during this battle, I found myself shaking like Michael Moore's third chin as he chows down on a box of peanut brittle.

Thanks to everyone who has checked in over the past few days, and extra thanks to those who emailed with thoughts, prayers, and suggestions on how to beat this thing. It's been a pretty rough few days, but I'm finally feeling more confident in my eventual recovery.

My advice to anyone experiencing flu-like symptoms: Attack now. Take it on as though you are a mother bear protecting her young. Hit it with everything you have, and borrow whatever you don't. But, whatever you do, don't just assume it's like all the other cases of the flu you've had. This one is a five on the Fujita scale of pathologies.
 

free website counters