A conservatory of Ldotter blogs.

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Having wasted the day. . .

. . .installing an all-in-one printer and listening to the tech support guy from Kodak yammer on about stuff that I already know, the blogging will be extremely light today, as I have an engagement to attend to this evening.

This soirée consists of several men sitting at a bar making demands of young ladies while ogling them and making the occasional double entendre when they're just out of earshot. You know -- the kind of thing Hillary emulated in Pennsylvania to bolster her blue collar bona fides.

While I'm out engaging in this merriment, I would appreciate it if everyone who reads this post would call up Kodak tech support and tell them just how crappy their installation software is. Because, you see, when you run the software all the way through, it instructs you to connect the USB cable between the computer and the printer. When you do that, in an ideal world, it will automatically detect the presence of the printer, and then you're free to go about printing cartoons, emails, photos, what-have-you.

But, when the software doesn't detect the presence of the printer, it continues to scan forever until it finally does pick it up. It doesn't, say, time out after a certain period of time. It doesn't give a hint as to the progress level of the detection. It just sits there with a few little green bars moving across a white field, pretending that actual work is being done. And you, the hapless installer, are left wondering, "OK, is it supposed to take this long? Or, do I need to give the monitor a whack as if it were a black and white TV with bad vertical hold?"

Normally, this isn't such a big thing. Sometimes, a computer will stop responding in the middle of a software installation, and you can simply reboot and start over. But, in the case of this printer, you have to install the godforsaken Microsoft .NET framework which, depending upon whether or not you're using the latest multi-threading, HellaMegaTerrabit processor, or some consumer-level desktop PC, takes anywhere from six to eight weeks to install. So, you kind of want to avoid having to start the whole process over.

In the end, though, it all turned out OK because, after having spent all that time scowling at the guy on the other end of the phone -- who really did nothing to deserve it, but nonetheless -- I discovered that the problem was a bad USB port. Simply moving the cable to another fixed the issue, at least for now.

The things I do for my mother with Mother's Day looming large. . .

And, there you have it. My day is shot, the blogging will be light, and soon enough, I'll be enjoying the ribald humor of my fellow knaves and rapscallions over the cool, crisp flavor of sweet, sweet beer.

free website counters